First, I had had a crappy busy week. The kind of week where you keep wondering why it's taking so long to get to Friday.
I had back to back lessons on Monday cos I needed Tuesday free to take mum to the doc. Wednesday was the visit to the columbarium. I needed to get supplies on Thursday. And FINALLY it was Friday.
In the past I recall weeks that had gone by in a flash - especially when I had a full schedule - but this time it just bloody dragged on and on.
Still, I needed to pick up some free rescue stuff and get to a pharmacy for a syrup for mum, so BIKSS got me (after I fed mum an early dinner) and off we went.
To a place that we'd been to MANY times in the past. Where we could count on great service, friendly smiles, and reliable food.
But it wasn't.
EVERYTHING WAS TOO SALTY.
The salad was salty. The spicy prawns were salty. I could eat none of it. BIKSS said, let's wait for the fish. He was quite happy to eat the stuff - it's a little more salty than usual, he said, but still edible.
No, it wasn't. It wasn't edible.
He maintained that it's cos I have a low threshold. But that's not it either. I know I can (and do, at home anyway) eat unsalted food with no problem. But I am fully aware of what is considered a "regular" amount of salt when it comes to store-bought, restaurant-cooked meals. I eat normal food at normal places too, do I not? And I don't complain about the salt level in there, even tho I would also be fine with much less.
"Let's wait for the fish," he suggested. It was fine except the skin tasted like a sheet of salt.
BIKSS suggested eating the fish and chucking out the skin but I was having none of it. Why would I give up eating the best part (to me) of a grilled salmon just cause the chef can't cook.
So he called the waitress over, told her about it, and she apologised and took the prawns and fish away.
She wanted to change them both, and at first BIKSS said it wasn't necessary to change the prawns but I said no, let's change it. After all, it was good gravy, and I didn't get to eat ANY of it. And we're still gonna have to pay for everything anyway.
So she brought us new prawns. It was much better.
And the fish? The mash tasted fine. The flesh of the salmon and gravy too.
"Let's see if the skin is any better."
I flipped the chunk of salmon over.
There was no skin. Le sigh.
BIKSS laughed. But I was just like whatever. It wasn't a good dinner date. And I wanted to get on with the rest of the errands for the evening (friend wanted to come by to pick something up but I was afraid we wouldn't be back in time so I offered to drop it off at her place on the way home - she lives very close by.)
I decided I wanted more donuts. So we got donuts. And then friend mentioned that she's now dreaming of donuts. So BIKSS stopped the car and I went and got 2 more donuts for her.
And then we almost drove into a carpark but BIKSS noticed it didn't have her block number on the sign, so we turned out again. Then I gave BIKSS wrong directions so he had to make another u-turn to get to said friend's house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I'm writing this I can't help but wonder if this is an accurate depiction of life right now. Mine, at any rate, if not everyone's.
Things you think you know, that you are sure of, are suddenly not a certainty anymore.
Things you've come to expect and depend on no longer can be counted on.
Something that you've been looking forward to that you KNOW will be comforting and satisfying is now the thing that's causing you to be unhappy.
Things that in small quantities can add spice and flavour to your life suddenly get chucked upon you in too-large quantities and overpower you.
Plans that start out simple end up getting changed a million times until it doesn't look anything like the original anymore.
You think you know where you're going, you can see the destination, but it takes you way too long to get there because the route you knew (or thought you knew) is off limits and now you have to obey all these other rules and conform to what everyone has to do.
And there's no such thing as just making ME feel better, cos there's always someone else who also wants a donut.
My mood pic today ~




I don't think that you would like my cooking, I put salt and black pepper on any meat that can handle it
ReplyDeletePrefectdt
I don't mind whatever condiments a dish is cooked with, but I don't really bother with additional sauces or sprinkling anything on a finished plate.
DeleteSorry you had one of those weeks Fondles, they suck. Shame the dinner date wasn't great to boot. I'm not a fan of salt personally and never add it to my plate.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Roz
Yeah, I don't need salt in my larder LOL.
Delete