When BIKSS had his mad knee pains it was his MCL.
According to my boss who very unceremoniously lifted my leg and propped it up on his thigh, mine's likely to be an inflammed LCL.
He did the range of motions tests, having me turn my foot this way and that and then trying to bend my leg with the foot pointed in either direction...
And then, he added, maybe my meniscus too.
Here's a quick diagram. That's the front of a right knee. The MCL is on the inside of the leg, the LCL is on the outside.
CLICK HERE for a quick (and basic) lesson on knee anatomy.
Here's another pic -
Apparently, I will need to rest. NO walking. NO exercising. NO twisting this way and that.
Me - How did this happen? And if you say lao liao (old age) I'll thwack you.
Doc - Then I won't say anything.
Me - Sigh. Tell me how to fix it. It hurts.
Doc - Nsaid yourself.
Me - But that upsets my tummy.
Doc - Kefentech! (Ketoprofen plaster)
Me - Which doesn't work on me remember? You said something about being a fast metaboliser.
Doc - Oh right. Methyl salicylate? Counterpain? Wintergreen? But that smell makes you puke right?
Me - Right.
Doc - Oil. Any oil. Fish oil!
Me - What? Rub fish oil?
Doc - Not rub. Eat.
Me - Eat fish oil? Like Omega 3?
Doc - Yup. Omega 3 helps with inflammation too. But check the dose.
I did. 2.7g of combined DHA/ EPA a day - that's 9 of my mini gel capsules. I can do that. I'm on it!
I also figured out that if I leave my leg unbent, it doesn't hurt as much as when I've had it bent (eg while sitting) and then trying to straighten it after.
The summary is this : Straight all the way - no pain. Bent all the way - no pain. Straight to bent - small pain. Bent to straight - MEGA pain.
At dinner on Friday BIKSS got up to go and moved towards me to help me out of my chair. I turned to face him, and away from the table, but I kept on sitting, extending my leg. And waited.
"Hang on a tic," I said. I'm gonna need some time.
"I know exactly what you're doing," he replied. He smiled, almost chuckling. But not at my misfortune.
"What then? Hmm?"
"You're doing exactly what I used to do - after the leg's been bent for some time you need to straighten it to let everything slowly get back into place before you can stand up and put weight on it. Innit?"
Well, ok, maybe he DID know what I was doing.
My mood pic today ~



Hi Fondles,
ReplyDeleteI love the way you and your boss interact lol. I hope the knee heals quickly. Do make sure to keep it rested.
Hugs
Roz
Thanks. Yeah, he also sent me a link to do a selftest for dementia. I sent him the results, and it said (with a sad face emoji) that i had dementia (well not me, i did the test for mum) and better get it checked out.
DeleteHe replied - that had better not be YOU. Or else I'm gonna need a new clinic assistant.
Tsk.
I appreciate the pictures. I'm having the exact same problem you are having. But mine will be so very painful for a day or two and then it completely goes away. It goes back and forth continually. And that's whether I take medication or not.
ReplyDeleteI've had some success so far, it's less painful that it was... or else I'm just more used to living with the pain. Either way, I haven't been doing my exercise walks, which isn't making me feel too badly as it's been raining monkeys and giraffes anyway.
DeleteCod liver oil. Bad childhood memories. Please find a more pleasant fish oil
ReplyDeletePrefectdt
LOL I have a supplement. They're tiny fish gels. The burps tend to be a bit fishy, but I don't mind too much. The "taste" goes away quickly.
Delete