25 August 2021

We Saw The Geriatrician

And she finally, after letters from 2 other GPs, agreed that mum might be having some issues with anxiety and depression. 

Also, she agrees with me (hello? I thought YOU were the doctor) that the sundowning and the confusion and the losing of pockets of time during her episodes point to early stages of dementia. 

Tsk. Duh, that's what I said 3 months ago. 

Anyway, she's put her on an SSRI (escitalopram aka Lexapro) -

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are a class of drugs that are typically used as antidepressants in the treatment of major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, and other psychological conditions.

and given me Zopiclone (aka Z-drug) as a standby for insomnia should she have difficulty sleeping (one night she was up till 5 in the AM!).

Nonbenzodiazepines, sometimes referred to colloquially as Z-drugs (as many of them begin with the letter "z"), are a class of psychoactive drugs that are very benzodiazepine-like in nature. They are used in the treatment of sleep problems. 

I hope she feels better with the SSRI. I know *I* do, now that we have some proper meds.

Today's also dad's birthday so we're off to the columbarium to visit him. 

The anxiolytic couldn't have come at a more opportune time. 

My mood pic today ~ 


 

10 comments:

  1. Why won't doctors listen to family members more often, I mean the first time. WE know whats going on. I went into a screaming fit (VERY unlike me) when a doctor refused to put my Dad under hospice care saying he didn't need it. After my fit, he signed the papers. Dad died nine days later.

    I'm so glad you got the medications that can really help your mom, and you! I hope she is calmer, happier and sleepier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a problem with the sleepier bit the first night, but then my boss said to give her the Z-drug, that's what it's for, while she's adjusting to the anxiolytic. Night 2 went much better!

      Delete
  2. Drugs can be so darned helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. If they're the Right ones!

      Delete
  3. I hope that the medication works

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fondles,I'm glad you are on the same page and now have the meds. I hope both you and your Mum find them beneficial. I have been in a consultation with my doctor a few times and said to her 'can I tell you what *I* think' lol.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it SO annoying? When I told her all this 3 mths ago she was like "let's not go there" TSK. Well, didn't we go there anyway?

      Delete
  5. Doctors can be a bloody stubborn lot. I'm glad you finally got the meds your mom needs. I hope it helps alleviate both her symptoms and your stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far she seems to be doing well. At least she's smiling today. And made a joke!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a note. BIKSS and I absolutely love reading what people have to say. I may not reply immediately, but I WILL reply your comment - especially by the time I've written a new post.

NOTE THAT IDIOTIC / STUPID / ENTITLED COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

(Also, if you're writing a comment for the 1st time and you have your own blog, do leave a URL so I can go over and read your stuff too!)