7 August 2021

An Excursion to the Nursery

This happened last Thursday. Mum was happy to be out and about and since I wanted to get my exercise in, I thought I would just wheel her to the nursery about just under a mile away (about 1.5km). In the sun. She had a sun hat. I had none. 

But she had a wonderful time looking at the pots of flora and now we have 3 new plant babehs, one of which is a crab cactus that I'd never seen before (Thanksgiving cactus, I believe). 


Mum getting excited at all the flowering Kalanchoes. AKA Widow's Thrill. Such a weird name, but well, she was thrilled alright.





They sell pots and other things that are garden related too... and after picking up our new additions I wheeled her back. Along the way we spotted a couple of macaws drying off after a bath... 




So it was a bit of a treat for her - flora AND fauna! 

My mood pic today ~ 



12 comments:

  1. Succulents are a good choice for houseplants, they can take a bit of neglect, if you ever go away and leave them for a week or two

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about plants that can handle neglect. I'm a lousy plant owner. I have a zz plant that I just about leave to sort itself out cos i'm so horrid at caring for it. Thankfully they're really hardy.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a lovely excursion.

    I bought new houseplants recently. On my agenda tomorrow: new pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for new pots! We need to get some potting soil cos some of the plants need to get transferred to bigger homes :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Fondles,

    Sounds like a wonderful outing, glad mum enjoyed the outing. Enjoy the new plants :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll enjoy them more than I will. She loves bringing plants home then ignoring them. I'm the one that has to go looking for planter boxes and racks LOL.

      Delete
  4. What you called a Thanksgiving cactus we call a Christmas cactus. I've got one and if you work it just right and have a huge amount of luck it will bloom every Christmas. ( my first one did bloom every Christmas and occasionally again at Easter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're actually different species in the same genus Schlumberger. Check out THIS PAGE where you can see the different leaves.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very nice time out. So sweet for your mum! I love succulents. For me they are perfect. Low maintenance and hearty!
    Your mood pic is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, I suppose the idea of adopting plants is growing on me somewhat. I've just ordered a moveable tiered rack so we can move the flowering plants around to follow the sun lol.

      Delete
  6. Hi Fondles - Catching up on your posts. Sounds like a lovely time out for your Mum. To reiterate what has been said here, succulents are the easiest plants. I have a few here that i never worry about while I'm away on my trips.

    Best,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I do also have some non-cacti succulents sitting in an old saucepan LOL. They were a gift from the sister even tho these are not the types of plants my mum enjoys. Mostly they're just sitting on the shoe cupboard by the window now.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a note. BIKSS and I absolutely love reading what people have to say. I may not reply immediately, but I WILL reply your comment - especially by the time I've written a new post.

NOTE THAT IDIOTIC / STUPID / ENTITLED COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED.

(Also, if you're writing a comment for the 1st time and you have your own blog, do leave a URL so I can go over and read your stuff too!)