I have absolutely NO self-discipline when it comes to my heart. Like seriously. Can you tell? Weak weak weak!
So all this time I was scrambling about feeling frazzled from the tug of war between keeping myself free for BIKSS vs doing what I need to do for myself remember? Then I finally decided that I should just do what I need to do in order not to feel disappointed when BIKSS can't make it after I've changed my plans to suit his?
OK so I was supposed to teach on Monday. He was gonna come around for dinner.
BUT he came early. And surprised me. And I couldn't bear the thought of him being here just hanging out in the next room while I taught for 3 hours when I get so little time with him... so I shifted my classes - easy enough since I was still sick anyway.
The thing is, if I weren't sick, I'd be really upset by it. THIS is exactly what I meant - I don't want a situation to arise where I have to scramble to change my plans for him. And admittedly he didn't ask me to. But I'm not wired that way. I wouldn't be able to teach in peace. It's just me, ok?

So I told him so. That
I'm not strong enough to go ahead and teach knowing you're here and yet NOT spending that time with you. So we agreed next time I just shouldn't schedule anything on Mondays since that's my official day off AND the day he's most likely to be done with work early(ish) and be able to spend a good number of hours with me... and I also told him that in future if I had class or he knows I'm supposed to be busy, don't drop in and expect me to be fine with him sitting around here while I work cos I can't do it.

He understands and hopefully there won't ever come a time when this happens again and I get stressed out. The thing is - he (and some of you) probably didn't think it would upset me - and in fact, I was thrilled that he got here early! - but I needed to let him know that I just CAN'T handle such a situation and that would make me get worked up thinking "See THIS is why I don't want to make my own plans cos then you show up and I'll have to cancel things to make space for you!" Again, a me thing, not a him-asking-me-to thing.
So given that THIS is the way my brain processes any opportunity for us to spend time together, I thought it best to just tell him so, instead of trying to work out contingencies on my own.
(Sorry about the ramble... I'm not feeling very organised and systematic at the moment. I blame the flu.)
i think that makes perfect sense. Good for you.
ReplyDeleteUm, not that you need my approval, or asked for it or anything, right? But i would feel the same way, and it's nice to know you've resolved it to your satisfaction. :-)
LOL... approval is always welcome. Especially when it reassures me that I'm not being selfish / unreasonable / bat-shit crazy.
DeleteAnd it's nice to know you'd feel similarly.
I'm glad I kept calm and managed to say what I needed to say respectfully without immediately going off on an accusatory tangent! Phew!
Your feelings make lots of sense to me.
ReplyDeleteHug,
joey
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that I'm not bonkers.
DeleteVery wise.
ReplyDeleteDon't fight your own nature. Learn how best to enjoy it.
I think a part of the problem with me has always been that I've had these ideas of what SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be right... rather than accepting and acknowledging that I am a certain way about certain things and I should just allow myself to BE that way and work around it.
DeleteSo this was wonderful self discovery!
Bravo for you. I totally know where you are coming from...when every moment is precious, you do not want to waste an opportunity. Wise decision letting him know how you feel..or process....
ReplyDeletehugs abby
Thanks for the thumbs up. I wondered if I was just being a thoughtless brat and wanting everything my way.
DeleteSounds like good communication all around:) Hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteVoice is 90% back... and I'm really glad we got the opportunity to experience this communication thing.
DeleteI would feel the same way!! Then when he had to leave earlier than I'd wished, I'd be upset that I'd wasted (not that it was wasted, but you know) time not seeing him. I think you guys made a good plan :)
ReplyDeleteyes exactly!!! I think we made a good plan too :)
DeleteI agree too- sounds like you handled it appropriately !!
ReplyDelete~faithful
:) Thanks !
DeleteI think its a sensible solution for you both, saves any bad feelings all round and thats always a positive step.
ReplyDeletex
Yes it does. I think i'm getting the hang of this communicating better thing. I also told him how I felt today when he said something that made me feel hurt. It's quite liberating! I know he didn't mean it intentionally. but maybe he didn't realise how it would make me feel so i told him, and he was sweet about it and assured me it wasn't because he was being thoughtless... but a genuine oversight. I know this of course but when I tell myself the same thing it sounds contrived - hearing it from him is so much more reassuring. *Shrug* I MUST go and tell him this revelation!
DeleteDefinitely agree with what everyone says above; plus sounds like you are feeling better ! xx
ReplyDeleteI'm ALMOST back at full health. altho I still have massive coughing fits from time to time. I can't wait to be better so i can go WALK again. I think i must have indulged this last week. Feeling heavy again. so much for losing those 2 kilos. I'm afraid to step onto the scale!!
DeleteDon't apologise, you are not rambling my dear. Your time together is precious and I can totally understand you feeling this way if he drops by unexpectedly when you are otherwise engaged. You naturally want to be spending the time with him.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a great plan, especially if it avoids any future upset. I'm glad you have resolved it in a way you are both happy with.
Hugs
Roz
EXACTLY! I'd be like "Oh what a pity- he's got free time and I'M STUCK doing other stuff!!"
DeleteI'm glad too :)