Thank you Jz for inspiring me to add to the festivities - and of course, for hosting this delicious event!
So I hadn't planned on joining in the Great Blogland Cookie Event, but looking at all the yummy stuff on everyone's blog has made me mad with participation fever. So here it is. Not a cookie - but a super easy fruitcake recipe I use EVERY YEAR around Christmas time.
Step 1 -
Boil all these ingredients and allow to cool to lukewarm :
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Plain Water
1/4 Cup Butter (or 1/4 of a 250g block, or 2 oz)
2 to 3 Teaspoons Mixed Spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger... you choose)
1/2 Teaspoon salt
2 Cups Raisins
Step 2 -
To the cooled mixture, add the following ingredients:
2 Large Eggs (lightly beaten)
1.5 cups all purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Mixed Peel (or dried candied fruit)
Mix well and bake in a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf tin (greased) at 180°C for 50-60 mins.
(Reduce to 160°C if using a dark tin)
=================
NOTE:
Personally I like nuts in my fruit cake too, so I use only 1 cup of raisins, and to the second lot of (mostly-dry) ingredients I add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans.. whatever you like).
Here are some pictures from last year's bake - my loaf tins were a different size so I made two batches and split them into 3 loaf tins!
Also, because my oven is a little wonky, and my loaves are smaller, I find that my cakes are usually done after about 40 mins or so. If the top looks like it might burn, cover with a sheet of aluminium foil once the surface has dried out and continue to bake until a cake tester / skewer comes out clean from the middle of the loaf.
ENJOY!
(EDIT: As I mentioned in one of the comments, the original recipe calls for a total of 3 cups of bits and bobs, but mine only has 2.5 cups (of fruit and nut). It still makes for a rather busy cake, so if you want to reduce further, I think 2 cups would work too.
ALSO: If you'd like some alcohol in yours, you could soak your raisins in rum or brandy overnight, then add them straight in with the second lot of ingredients, instead of boiling them with the butter and sugar. ALTERNATIVELY, or in addition to that, feel free to drizzle some liquor over your cake - or douse it, if you so desire - I prefer brandy, but I hear dark rum is good too so that's what I'm doing this year. )
 |
It doesn't look like much, but it'll turn out fine, I promise. (Ingredients from Step 1 after boiling.) |
 |
That's all of the ingredients from Step 2 - except the eggs.
The flour is sitting at the bottom of the mixing bowl. |
 |
| The finished cake cooling on a wire rack |
 |
| Ta-da! |
I can smell that fruit cake from here. I love fruit cake and like you I like nuts in mine as well. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Ronnie
xx
I'm a sucker for fruit cake! This year's cakes will be baked on Monday - then doused with rum! Yum!
DeleteThat looks amazing!! I'm kind of impressed.
ReplyDeleteLol. It takes very little to get this right! Really easy. And the brandy or rum it gets doused with really helps with the flavour. Try it!
DeleteI've never had fruit cake before. May see if I can make it and entice the kiddos to give it a try.
ReplyDelete--Baker
I suspect it might be an English treat? I dont quite know. But if the kids are having some then DEFINITELY don't put liquor in it. (I totally left that part out didn't i? I'll add it to my post tomorrow when i have the laptop! )
DeleteAhhh fruitcake is a southern Christmas treat. Claxton, Georgia has been famous for making them since 1910. My mom always made fruitcakes a month before Christmas and doused them with brandy. Yummy yum!
ReplyDeleteI used to make mine a month ahead too but they always never lasted till Christmas! This year i'm making mine later!
DeleteHiya! So happy to find your fruitcake tucked in on Jz's post! Sounds so tasty and brings back memories of my family Christmas. Have a wonderful holiday season!
ReplyDelete-Sassy
I bet it's no coincidence that Jz started this tradition around Christmastime! So we'd all have treats for the holidays :)
DeleteThank you for stopping by and saying hi. I shall hop over and check out your blog too! So pleased to meet you!
Mmmmm, this looks good. I have never had fruitcake before, might have to give it a whirl. Thank you
ReplyDeleteThe best part - no mixer required. Just stir in everything with a wooden spoon. Or spatula. Wait. Is that why I like this recipe so much? The familiarity of the implements?? Lol
DeleteHave never been a fan of fruitcake, but then again, I've only had the store bought nasty stuff. This recipe and the pictures actually look good, Fondles...might just have to try it. ;) Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHugs and blessings...Cat
I think fruitcake is one of those things you either love or dont. Feel free to add and remove fruit and nuts and raisins as you like. When i make for mum it's all raisins and none of the mixed peel or nuts.
DeleteI'm so glad you jumped on in!
ReplyDeleteI love fruitcake - as you say, I think it's a "love it or hate it" thing but I'm on the love side. Altho' I'll admit I usually leave peel out... but having it in has never stopped me from eating any!
Hope you had a fun day.
Thanks again for adding my link! I know i know. I should have planned for this. I KNEW it would be hard to resist. Next year i'm definitely gonna start planning EARLY!
DeleteI also prefer NO PEEL in my cake- but thats why this is a great recipe - take things out, add stuff in. It all works. And brandy. Oh brandy. Or rum. This year i'm using rum!
Thanks for sharing your fruitcake recipe! How sweet would you rate it?
ReplyDeleteWhat turns me off about fruitcake is how sweet it is when you get it at the supermarket, so I like the thought of baking it a shot. Would you recommend cutting the brown sugar by half and omitting the candied fruit?
I dont think u should cut the sugar cos it's a binding agent. But you could definitely skip the candied fruit and reduce the amount of raisins. If you like nuts add more of that instead. The recipe calls for a total of 3 cups of various "bits" but ive cut mine to a total of 2.5 cups (fruit n nut). It's still a very "busy" cake so i think you could cut that even more to just 2 cups total of bits and bites. Maybe just use 3/4 cup raisins (or a less sweet dried fruit -apricot?) and 1,1/4 cup nuts perhaps? I cant be sure - it's all trial and error innit?
DeleteMMMm. Looks wonderful! I have an old family recipe but it requires a 3 month lead time to actually soak the cake in rum or brandy. I'm going to do yours!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, if you want a properly soaked cake, I'm afraid you're going to have to invest the time. I should probably edit this post to include the rum / brandy bit.
DeleteIn the past I used to start my fruitcake bakefest at least a month before Christmas, but as I mentioned above, there wasn't a lot left by Christmas, so I always ended up baking more in Dec anyway.
This year, I shall just bake them nearer to Christmas. And drizzle the rum in on a daily basis all the way up to the 24th when my guests will descend upon me.
Fondles that sounds and looks delicious. My Bear loves fruit cake, I'll have to make it for him. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHugs Lindy xx
Oh, please do substitute whatever you need to to fit dietary requirements, and let me know how it turns out if you DO bake it! Good luck!
DeleteHi Fondles, ooh this looks and sounds yum! Love how you showed pics of the cake at different stages. Thank you for sharing, will have to try this :)
ReplyDeleteHugs
Roz
I hope you like it. The main reason I use this recipe over and over again is because all I need is a pot and a big bowl - and I don't need an electric mixer. Just add, stir, and pour!
Delete